Why Book This Tour
Take a full day self -guided walk to the historic Jiankou & Mutianyu with toboggan ride/chairlift option also available. Tasting unrestored Jiankou to restored Mutianyu with plenty of photography stops, resting. Lunch at local farm style dish restaurant if required. Enjoy the freedom, flexibility, and adventure of hiking on your own. Spend some quality time on the wall and have lots of fun.
Duration: One dayOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Huairou districtBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place, or airport / train stationAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 331mMax altitude: 978mPhysical rating: Daily departing from BeijingDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Prices (RMB Per Person) 1190 680 590 560 520 490 470 440 390
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off–children must be accompanied by at least two responsible adults.
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- Transportation from Beijing to the wall and back
- On request, drop-off at (same) different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Professional Non-English/Chinese speaking driver
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Free cell phone rental service
- Admission fees
- You’ll automatically become a member of WGW, your spouse and kids to a lifetime discount of 5% off any hiking trip after your first one (membership details)
- Gratuity to driver (optional)
- Lunch, drinks, snacks
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car / chair lift / toboggan
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants due to overgrown bushes
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars
- Xizhazi village to Zhengbeilou tower (approx. 1-hour ascent);
- Zhengleilou Tower to Ox Horn Edge (approx. 40 minutes);
- Make a detour at Ox Horn Edge West then head back to the Wall (approx. 10 minutes)
- Ox Horn Edge East to Tower 23 of Mutianyu (approx. 40 minutes)
- Tower 23 of Mutianyu to Tower 14 (approx. 1.5 hours)
- At Tower 14 take the cable car down to the exit (optional/approx. 8-minute ride)
- Walk down from Tower 14 to Tower 10, then continue to walk down the hilly trail to the exit (optional/approx. 1.5 hours)
- Walk down from Tower 14 to Tower 6, then go down by toboggan /chair lift (optional / approx. 1.5 hours)
- Mutianyu shuttle bus to the parking lot (approx. 10 minutes ride)
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30am or you could choose the best time for you for a wonderful day out to Jiankou and Mutianyu. The adventure begins at Xizhazi village–587m /1926ft above sea level. Once you leave the village, the hike is a decent uphill to reach the ruined tower-Zhengbeilou–830m / 2723ft above sea level. As the hilly trail to Zhengbeilou is a little bit hard to follow, your driver will lead your way to Zhengbeikou. Take your time and enjoy views.
At Zhengbeikou, the hard part is now behind you. You will be rewarded with a spectacular panorama of Jiankou and the true nature of Jiankou basin. Afterward, you will walk eastwards to Mutianyu. There are a few vertical climbs and scrambles along the way. Due to the overgrown bushes, you have to walk along the very edge, quite high above the ground.
After passing through many towers along the way, you’ll reach Ox Horn Edge–a dangerous section as it looks like ox horn in shape – 1011m / 3317ft above sea level. From there take a forest detour past a campsite in the bush, with tracks to walk through and gives you the feel of being close to nature. Going through the bush takes about 10 minutes then you will walk on Jiankou again. From there it’s a short walk to the fully restored Mutianyu.
Mutianyu also features a summer toboggan run: open hour: 8 am-5 pm in summer, situated on tower 6. The toboggan run goes down a series of zigzag bends, with an altitude difference of 100m / 328ft. The toboggan ride can be as fast as you want or as slow as you want with a hilarious experience. Mutianyu toboggan ride price is 60RMB during the tourist season.
When ending up at tower 14 of Mutianyu, there are three options: (1) sit back and let the cable car take you down to the exit from tower 14, usually takes about 8 minutes; (2) walk down from tower 14 to 10 where you can get off Mutianyu then walk down the hill trail to reach the exit, usually takes 1.5 hours; (3)continue walking until reach tower 6 then go down by toboggan /chair lift. If you choose option 3, you can enjoy the additional hike then take toboggan down /chair lift down. After your hike, your driver can take your to the quality restaurant near Mutianyu if required.
Jiankou to Mutianyu self-guided hike takes 3- 5 hours and covers 6 miles/10 km. This hike offers a glorious opportunity to see the Great Wall at its best. The physical nature of the hike adds to the sense of exploration and adventure.
Does the self-guided tour have a set time frame? No, the self-guided tour doesn’t have any set time frame. However, the hike normally covers 3 -5 hours with plenty of breaks. The entire distance of your self guided walk is 7-8 kilometers (4-5 miles) with a total vertical climb of around 200 meters (660 feet).
Free cell phone rental service is available once you are picked up (for a local call in case you need to contact us for guiding, translation, etc)
Note: The Free cell phone rental service includes one cell phone and local calling Sim with unlimited local calls in case you need to contact us during your tour. This is suitable for your Jiankou & Mutianyu hike without a tour guide. You would be able to explore Great Wall on your own with 100% worry-free. A cell phone will be returned back when the tour is ending.
Please keep in mind that your driver speaks little English, so please call our office (+86 139 1132 1502) if there is any misunderstanding with your driver.
Who would like this trip? Confident adventurers can try our Jiankou to Mutianyu Semi self-guided walk- all equipment provided as for our guided trips except you provide your own food and travel at your own pace. You need to be comfortable with walking without the assistant of a guide. We do provide you with detailed instructions, but it is advisable to have some navigational skills.
With a self-guided tour, you can choose whatever day you want to start on. You’re also free to stop wherever you like, whenever you like and how often you like as well taking as many pictures as you like. The freedom of the tour is yours! Besides, we believe this is one of the best budget-friendly things to do in Beijing.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions. or check the hiking tips. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
Did you know? From Mutianyu, you can visit Ming Tomb (approx. 1 hour’s drive) or Summer Palace (approx. 1.5 hour’s drive) if departing at 7 AM from Beijing works for you. (Best time to visit: April – October.) You are welcome to contact us by filling the form online. We will offer you the most suitable tailor-made itinerary with the best price.
If you’d like to book a guided version of our self-guided trip – just check the link – we are always happy to run a guided option for you.
Map the tour/Videos
Map the tour/Videos: