Why Book This Tour
Experience vast contrasts of hiking from wild Jiankou to restored Mutianyu. Be totally amazed by Jiankou Tower. Enjoy the incredible and spectacular views from Zhengbeikou Tower. Pass through towering Ox Horn Edge. Keep away from the masses and try this classic hike in very small groups. A unique and authentic insight into the Great Wall.
Duration: 1 dayOptimal season: All year around, best time: March-DecemberArea: Huairou districtBegin in: Your hotelEnd in: Your hotel or central-located place in the cityAvg. daily distance: 5 milesTerrain: Rolling to hillyMin altitude: 331mMax altitude: 978mPhysical rating: ModerateDeparture: Daily departing from Beijing
Group size 1pax 2pax 3pax 4pax 5pax 6pax 7pax 8pax 9pax Price RMB / Person 1590 990 860 790 730 550 510 490 420
All Prices shown are in RMB (Chinese Yuan) and based per person.Price Promises:
- No factory / shopping stop
- No hidden costs
- No booking fees
For your peace of mind you don’t pay for the trip until after the trip has taken place. You could pay cash to your tour guide when you are picked up if you are certain that you will not cancel the trip with us. No pre-payment or deposit is required at reservation. Your money will be safe. Both RMB and US dollar are acceptable. Money ConverterSpecial for kids:
To help families we offer discounts to all children aged 17 years and below. No reason to leave the kids at the hotel.
- Ages 0 to 4 years – FREE!
- Ages 5 to 11 years – 50% off
- Ages 12 to 17 years – 5% off
- 5% off with valid student ID
- City accommodation pick-up
- drop-off at same / different locations: centrally located hotel, airport, train station with your luggage (greater luggage requirements please ask for a quotation)
- Friendly knowledgeable English-speaking guide
- Delicious meals as described in itinerary
- Quality vehicle with A/C, professional driver
- Free-bottled mineral water in the vehicle
- Admission fees
- Gratuity to driver and guide (optional)
- Drinks, snacks and other meals
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Cable car / chair lift / toboggan
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Hiking or trekking shoes/boots
- Long sleeve shirt and pants (because of overgrown bushes)
- Extra bottles of water, fruit, cereal or protein bars
Latest updates on August 7, 2017: Tower 20 of Mutianyu is blocked by Mutianyu Great Wall office on the April 4th, while our guide came back from Jiankou and claimed that it’s possible to climb over the newly constructed wall at tower 20 of Mutianyu by far. In that case, going to Jiankou & Mutianyu is doable if climbing over the Wall (around 1 meter in height) works for you.
- Xizhazi village to Zhengbeilou tower (approx. 1 hour ascent);
- Zhengleilou Tower to Ox Horn Edge (approx. 40 minutes);
- Make a detour at Ox Horn Edge West then head back to the Wall (approx. 10 minutes)
- Ox Horn Edge East to Tower 23 of Mutianyu (approx. 40 minutes)
- Tower 23 of Mutianyu to Tower 14 (approx. 1.5 hours)
- At Tower 14 take cable car down to the exit (optional / approx. 8 minute ride)
- Walk down from Tower 14 to Tower 10, then continue to walk down the hilly trail to the exit (optional / approx. 1.5 hours)
- Walk down from Tower 14 to Tower 6, then go down by toboggan /chair lift (optional / approx. 1.5 hours)
- Mutianyu shuttle bus to parking lot (approx. 10 minutes ride)
You will be collected from your accommodation at 7.30am or you could choose the best time for you for a wonderful day out to Jiankou and Mutianyu. The adventure begins at Xizhazi village–587m /1926ft above sea level. Once you leave the village, the hike is a decent uphill to reach the ruined tower-Zhengbeilou–830m / 2723ft above sea level. On the half way to Zhengbeikou, you will capture the best scenery /landscape views of Jiankou. Take your time and enjoy views.
After a short break continue on Zhengbeikou. At the top, the hard part is now behind you. You will be rewarded with spectacular panorama of Jiankou and true nature of Jiankou basin. Afterwards, you will walk eastwards to Mutianyu. There are a few vertical climbs and scrambles along the way. Due to the overgrown bushes, you have to walk along the very edge, quite high above the ground.
After passing through many towers along the way, you’ll reach Ox Horn Edge–a dangerous section as it looks like ox horn in shape – 1011m / 3317ft above sea level. From there take a forest detour past a campsite in the bush, with tracks to walk through and gives you the feel of being close to nature. Going through the bush takes about 10 minutes then you will walk on Jiankou again. From there it’s a short walk to the fully restored Mutianyu.
Mutianyu also features a summer toboggan run: open hour: 8am-5pm in summer, situated on tower 6. The toboggan run goes down a series of zigzag bends, with an altitude difference of 100m / 328ft. The toboggan ride can be as fast as you want or as slow as you want with a hilarious experience. Mutianyu toboggan ride price is 60RMB during tourist season.
When ending up at tower 14 of Mutianyu, there are three options: (1) sit back and let the cable car take you down to the exit from tower 14, usually takes about 8 minutes; (2) walk down from tower 14 to 10 where you can get off Mutianyu then walk down the hill trail to reach the exit, usually takes 1.5 hours; (3)continue walking until reach tower 6 then go down by toboggan /lift chair. As the track is very easy to follow, if you choose option 3, your guide will meet you at the exit of toboggan /lift chair so you can enjoy the additional hike on your own.
You will enjoy a tasty lunch then head back to Beijing. Jiankou hiking plus Mutianyu toboggan ride takes 3- 5 hours and covers 6 miles/10 km. This hike offers a glorious opportunity to see the Great Wall at its best. The physical nature of the hike adds to the sense of exploration and adventure.
Interested in this tour, any questions? The quickest way to find answers to your questions is to review the most frequently asked questions, and check the hiking tips. If you can’t find the information you are looking for please feel free to contact us.
Did you know? From Mutianyu, you can visit Ming Tomb (approx. 1 hour’s drive) or Summer Palace (approx. 1.5 hour’s drive) if departing at 7AM from Beijing works for you. (Best time to visit: April – October.) You are welcome to contact us by filling the form online. We will offer you a most suitable tailor-made itinerary with the best price.
Beijing is not cheap. If you travel on a budget, or if you ‘d like the freedom, flexibility and adventure of walk on your own, and don’t like to be restricted to particular travel dates, you can choose self-guided version of our guided trip- just check the link – we are always happy to run self-guided option for you.
Self-guided tour costs less than guided tour but still maintain a level of support and convenience that allows you to explore on your own schedule without sweating the logistics. We can keep the price low because you are not paying for a guide and associated costs.
Map the tour/Videos
Map the tour/Videos: